Mussel Soup with Leeks and Saffron
3 tbs. butter
20 mussels –cleaned and scrubbed
1 onion –diced
4 leeks – rinsed well and sliced
2 thyme sprigs
1 bay leaf
Salt to taste
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
¼ c dry white wine
3 c chicken broth or vegetable broth -hot
1 pinch of saffron
1 x 15 oz. can tomatoes –diced
1 c heavy whipping cream
¼ c fresh parsley -minced
1) Mix the saffron threat with the hot stock and set aside.
2) Heat up the butter in a large stockpot and sauté the onions and leeks with a pinch of salt until translucent. Add the red pepper flakes, bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
3) Add the mussels to the pot, give it a stir then add the wine. Cook until the alcohol has evaporated then pour in the saffron infused stock.
4) Bring to a gentle simmer, cover with a lid and cook for about 20 minutes until all the clams have opened. Add the cream and let the soup simmer a couple more minutes.
5) Remove from heat, adjust seasoning and ladle soup into bowl. Serve with the minced parsley on top.