Italian Minestrone Soup with Butternut Squash
2.5 qt. chicken broth or vegetable broth
3 tbsp. Bertolli Classico Olive Oil
1 onion diced
3 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 carrot –diced
3 celery stalks diced
1 large butternut squash cut into 1 inch cubes
1 bunch Swiss chard rinsed and chopped
4 of the Swiss chard stems diced
3 thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
1 x 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 cups fusilli pasta
20 basil leaves thinly sliced or torn
Salt to taste
1) Heat up the olive oil in a large heavy bottom stockpot. Add the onion with a pinch of salt and sauté until translucent.
2) Add the garlic, carrot, celery, Swiss chard stems and butternut squash and give them a good stir.
3) Add the thyme and bay leaf and cook for another 10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
4) Pour in the stock and diced tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes then add the pasta.
5) Cook another 10 minutes or until the pasta is al dente. Stir in the chard and let it wilt for a couple minutes.
6) Remove from heat , discard the thyme and bay leaf, adjust seasoning then ladle into bowls and serve sprinkled with some basil and freshly grated Parmiginano Reggiano.