Pulled Beef and Barely Soup
4 lb. chuck roast cut into 1-inch cubes & patted dry
½ c extra light olive oil
2-½ qt. beef broth
I onion -diced
2 large carrots -sliced into ½ inch slices
2 celery stalks –sliced
1 parsley root –diced
1/3 c fresh parsley -minced
1 c barley
4 thyme sprigs
2 whole cloves
1tsp salt +more to taste
1) Heat up 3 tbsp. of the olive oil in a large heavy bottom pan (cast iron works great) and brown the beef on all sides. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate & keep warm.
2) Work in batches as to not overcrowd the meet and add a little bit of oil in between if necessary.
3) Wipe the pan clean with paper towels and add another 4 tbsp. of the oil. Add the onion, parsley root, cloves herbs and sauté together for 5 minutes. Return the meat to the pot, pour in the broth, partially cover with a lid and allow it to cook for about 2 hours.
4) Add the sliced carrots, celery and barley and let it simmer for another 30 minutes or until the vegetables and barley are tender and the meat is falling apart. Remove from heat and discard the bay leaf, thyme sprigs and cloves.
5) Ladle into bowls and serve hot with a sprinkling of minced parsley.